Pages

Saturday, February 28, 2009

I miss hip-hop

I love hip-hop music. I love all music, but hip-hop has always held a special place in my heart. Recently, however, so many songs have been released that are just stupid. Why do some many songs (mainly rap) involve bragging about money, cars, girls, etc. that they do not have? What happened to the songs about life, about love, and the fun songs aboutnothing, really, but just fun?
Music is basically a means to telling your story. It is a method of communication that allows others to experience, more or less, your life. It tells stories of love found, love lost, and love unrequited. It brings joy to what is sometimes a very hectic and harsh life. This music allowed me to eavesdrop on other people's personal thoughts and see life through their eyes. To experience what they experience and feel the same emotions they feel. It lets me know there are other people out there that think like me and have the same problems I have. It tells me I am not alone and things do get better. This is what music is about.

Music is also about having fun, especially hip-hop. It is fun stories and funny situations. It is silly lyrics that make you smile and amazing beats that challenge you to sit still. It is a parallel universe that exist just outside of our own and provides a temporary relief from life's drama.

Hip-hop, in particular, defines your generation. You can listen to the songs put out when you were a teen and are instantly back in that time. The next generation will inevitably create their own music that they claim is better than mine, and call me old-school. And this is how life is supposed to be. We always improve on the previous, and the previous always claims to be the original. That is why music is so important.

I miss hip-hop and wish it would return.

No comments: