Pages

Monday, December 29, 2008

Unconditional Love

I have wasted an insane amount of time in my life looking for love. Love from friends, family, partners. I didn't care, I just wanted to feel loved. I realize this is a very needy act and says more about my self-esteem than an natural yearning for affection. But, this does not change the simple fact that I felt I needed this validation. Until recently. As much as I would like to say I changed overnight and no longer want people to express their love for me, I cannot. I can say that I have, however, realized both the futility and nonessential need behind this search. I realized after visiting my brother and sister-in-law and my three nephews for Thanksgiving and Christmas. My nephews could care less what I wear or how I look. They don't care what I have to say, or what I do for a living. All they care about is that I was there. They kept asking their mom when I was coming and stuck by me the entire time. Watching their movies with them was such an amazing time. They would sit right next to me, on me, behind me with their feet pushing against my back - just so long as I was spending time with them. It is so frustrating at times watching movies with others, especially those I am trying to impress. I try to suck in my stomach, sit correctly, not make stupid remarks or laugh at the dumb jokes. With my nephews these issues did not arise. I began to wonder why I have spent so much time looking for love when these three princes were so willing to just give it to me without asking anything in return. Even on those rare occasions that I had to correct them for acting up, or tell them no when they had a request, they never wavered from their love for me. I didn't have to earn it. I would not have been able to earn this type of love anyway. It is an unconditional love and something I shall cherish for the rest of my life. I just pray I never fail to show my appreciation for this love.

No comments: