Pages

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Romanticising Romance

I used to fancy myself a romantic. To the point I use phrases like fancy myself. I am now at the point where I wonder if I really am a romantic, or just in love with the idea of romance. I find so many things to be romantic and want to experience them with my man (who does not yet exist). What I know wonder is do I really want to share that moment with someone I love, or am I so enthralled with living out those moments I have seen in movies that I want to recreate them. Here is an example, I am planning to move to NYC and want to experience my first walk through Central Park with someone I love. There is nobody I specifically want to share this walk with, yet, and I don't know of any reason that this walk is any more special than any other walk with my man. I think I have seen this image so many times in movies that I think it should be a romantic moment. But can these moments actually be created, or should they just happen? Does this mean I would have to avoid Central Park until I actually experience that first walk with my true love so I don't ruin that moment? That hardly seems right. The biggest error in that wish is the lack of a man. Who knows how long it will be until I find my Prince Charming. This might also explain why I have been single for so long. I expect too many things from a potential suitor. Upon retrospect, I am not sure any man could actually live up to my ridiculously high standards. I have too many requirements that he must meet to even be considered. I think my need for romance has actually ruined romance - if this makes any sense. I am trying to control the uncontrollable and force destiny. Maybe if I simply let things happen I will open myself up to actually meeting that special someone. Maybe by letting go of my search for a perfect moment, I will finally allow life to happen. If I get out a romance's way, maybe I will experience romance in its truest form. Maybe

No comments: